Friday, June 20, 2003

Shame


I saw Pillar yesterday. they're a heavy metal Christian band. normally i'm not much into this type of music, but a lyric from one of their songs got me thinking. "It's a shame to be ashamed of whom we are to give glory."

what's shame? mr. webster's definition: a painful emotion caused by consciousness of guilt, shortcoming, or impropriety , and a condition of humiliating disgrace or disrepute. so the questions arise...

have i felt guilty of denying Christ?
yes. i feel this applies to each time i don't stand up for what i believe is the Truth. when i become aware of attempting to hide that i'm a Christian in order for others to like me.

have i felt humiliating disgrace?
when i think about my wretchedness and the penalty Christ paid for me, i sometimes feel this way. but then i praise my Father in heaven for loving me so much that He'd be willing to do it for me. His grace is sufficient for me - this is my Truth on which i stand for encouragement.

when have i let Him down?
when i take my gaze off Him and onto the happenings of this world. things here look pretty tempting sometimes, but in the end all that matters is faith expressing itself through love. {Gal. 5:6}

how have i learned from these experiences?
sometimes i've learned to keep my mouth shut....sometimes....

why and how am i to give glory to Him?
"...everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." {Is. 43:7} "He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." {2 Pet. 3:9} " Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. {Eccl. 12:13}

how does persecution fit into all this?
in 1 tim 3:16 we all can read, "in fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." i can only image the martyrs who were not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. right now they are rejoicing that they didn't feel humiliating disgrace b/c they refused to back down from the Truth they professed.

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Rom 1:16



Precious Jesus, i deeply want my heart's desire to be aligned with Yours. i want to honestly say to You, "it's my joy to honor You with everything about me...nothing less will be acceptable." please help me for i am weak and am not capable of accomplishing this with Your touch.
For Your Name's Sake ~ Amen.


Holiness, the song

0 comments: