Monday, June 23, 2003

Humility and Forgiveness


"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."
Phil. 2:3-5

"All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble'."
1 Peter 5:5

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
James 5:16

"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
Col. 3:13

last night a friend of mine confessed his testimony of how Christ has been working in his life. it was powerful, captivating, and heart-felt. before he spoke he was nervous, but was well prepared. he knew his past and how God had been moving to draw him closer. his fears were calmed once he began to express the grace and compassion God has on him.

what's your testimony?

we all have a story, a testimony of what God is doing in our lives. none of our stories are identical. i'm sure we all would be nervous about telling it to others, but i believe that each of us needs to be prepared to tell others about the love and forgiveness we've experienced thru Christ. {1 Pet. 3:15}

So, what's my story? where is my hope? why do i need Christ in my life?

my hope is in Christ, everything else will let me down. {Ps. 25} my strive is for holiness, but my stuggle is for coming across "holier than thou". daily i struggle w/ allowing others to see my short-comings, my less-than-perfect life-style. i cover better than most, tho my closest friends know where i stray from being an imitator of Christ. {Eph. 5:1} i desire to be humble, bending low to confess my sin.

last night while i was working on a Bible study, i came across some verses about malice. i've never really known what malice was. i thought it was something similar to slander or gossip. here's what malice is: intention to do evil. my thought life is not so plesant. it is not honorable in God's sight. this is where i fall on my knees and beg for grace and mercy.

so this is my story: i am a sinner, caused by the way i think. i harbor too many thoughts of lust, evil desires, malice, greed, anger, etc. out of the overflow of my heart, my mouth speaks {Matt. 12:34}, and too often these words are not wholesome or useful for building up others. {Eph. 4:29} i know the good i ought to do and i often don't do it. {James 4:17}

this is why i need Jesus. i fall short of the glory of God. {Rom 6:23} nothing i can do can make me holy enough to be acceptable to Him. Christ came so that He may be my Righteouness, my Holiness, and my Redemption {1 Cor. 1:30} so that i am worthy to enter into His presence. only thru Christ Jesus am i fully alive. i was dead, but now i am alive in Christ! Praise be to Jesus, the Lover of my soul.

Holy Father, thank You for loving me enough to give Your only Son in order to make me holy. You're the reason i live. let all i am and all i do be an honor to You.
thru the Redemption of Christ, i humbly pray - Amen.

0 comments: