Tuesday, June 24, 2003

God's Work


"When we genuinely believe that inner transformation is God's work and not ours, we can put to rest our passion to set others straight."
Richard J. Foster

this quote comes from a book called, Celebration of Discipline. i've read the book several times, mostly just a chapter of two at a time. it's one of those types of books which isn't meant for reading through and letting it rest. the book motivates me to do something about it. last night i read the chapter on study. it discussed 4 steps which i've found helpful for getting back on track - repetition, concentration, comprehension, and reflection.

repetition gets the Word of God implanted into my mind so that i can begin to transform my habits of thought. concentration allows me to center my mind on the material being discussed. comprehension allows me to understand what i'm reading in order to get something out of it. and reflection takes my learning a step further. this is where i begin to see the significance to what i'm studying. "reflection brings us to see things from God's perspective."

so, how does understanding that God is completely in charge of all inner transformations and learning about God through His word have in common?

through my obedience to study i pray that God can use His grace to transform my inner life, especially within my mind. i desire holiness, but unless Christ does this amazing work within me, i am nothing.

If i speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, i am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. if i have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if i have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, i am nothing. if i give all i possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, i gain nothing. {1Cor. 13:1-3}

0 comments: