Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Bodily Temple


"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
1 Cor. 6:19-20



Last night i was reading my Bible and came across these verses. I've heard them a million times before but only recently began to scrutinize their meaning. This is a myriad of my thoughts.

Since my body is a temple, it's just not right to attempt to tear it down thru sexual immorality. this would be like me going to Solomon's temple in all its splendor and attempting to destroy it by using a sledge hammer. Solomon's temple was made of gold, fine wood, gems and other expensive and magnificent material. i would be insane to attempt to destroy it.

The Holy Spirit is in me. Acts 1:8 says that i will receive power when He is upon me. 2 Tim. 1:7 says that God did not give me a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. so, since i am equipped w/ power, why would i dabble in this temptation which so strongly entangles me? why i am so weak; why do i not depend on this power which is alive in me?

I received the Spirit of God from God, the maker of heaven and earth. This Spirit was with God thru all times. He enabled Moses to part the Red Sea, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego to dance in the fire without being scorched, Jesus and the apostles to raise the dead, heal the sick and lame, and preach the message to many nations. And i, too, have this same Spirit of power and might. In Zech. 4:6, God says, "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit."

If i'm not my own, then who's am i? I have become a slave to the Most High God. This slavery is easy, not a burdensome. {Matt 11:30} i willing take up the cross of Christ daily in order to have an abundant life. altogether that seems like a oxy-moron, but in reality it's all very real and true.

Christ paid the price from me on the cross. He loved me so much that he was willing to give up everything for my sake. His pain for my gain. I've done nothing to deserve this wonderful gift of grace. i was dead in my transgressions, and dead is dead.... Christ gave me a new life and for this i offer my everthing to Him. This is how i honor Him with my body: by keeping it pure and holy for His purpose.


0 comments: