Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Career of Prayer


Many of us have heard it said, "Where God is at work, satan is working just as hard." I often forget this when things are going well. My tendencies are to rejoice over the wonderful happenings of God's might right hand, but forget to pray over the situation for protection from the evil one.

These are some verses i've discovered about this topic.
  • "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. {James 4:7}
  • "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." {1 Peter 5:9-10}
  • "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. {1 Cor. 16:13}
  • "Holy Father, protect them by the power of Your name - the name You gave Me - so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name You gave Me. {John 17:11-12}
  • "'Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.'" {Nehemiah 4:14}

How, then, does all this relate to prayer? I adore the Nehemiah passage. My fight may not be with weapons fashioned for this world, but i do have power to demolish the strong holds of satan. {2 Cor. 10:3-5} And i know this power is not of myself, but through the Holy Spirit. The battles of my life need to be met on the battlefield of prayer. Only by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ am I able to succeed, not standing on my own strength. And i'm only a novice at this concept, hoping one day i'll fight like a fierce warrior.

0 comments: