Friday, June 27, 2003

Be Still


Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
{Ps. 37:7}

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
{ps. 46:10}

i can't count how many times some one has commented to me, "Can't you just be still?" well, i can't! i always need to be doing something - fidgeting w/ my hands, moving my feet, reading, scrapbooking, laundry, fill-in puzzles, etc. it's just so BORING to be still. it's nearly irritating sometimes.

and those are just the outward effects to what my mind is thinking about. one of my biggest pet peaves is when the question is asked, "what are you thinking about?", and the answer is "nothing". i don't get it. how can you not think. i always have something going on in my mind. there's never a moment when my thoughts are not being formed, calculated, sharpened, piqued.

so, needless-to-say, i struggle with psalm 37:7 and 46:10. in order for me to be still, i need have my mind focused on some thing. this involves effort - to quiet myself before the Lord, and to wait. the waiting part is my real struggle. during the time i'm waiting, i can do whatever, right? i don't know the right or wrong answer, but i know where my struggle lies.

Wonderful Maker, You know how i was created. You know my inmost being; every part of me was woven together by You. I come before You humbled, knowing You are God and i am not. Knowing that when i wait on You, i gain trust. Spirit, please help me to be still in the midst of this chaotic world. Let my thoughts focus completely on You. and let my stillness be for Your glory - that i may know You, the One and Only {John 17:3}.
In Christ's Name - Amen

0 comments: