Friday, February 27, 2004

Struggling with Sin

In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.
Hebrews 12:4

Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.
Luke 22:39-44

after experiencing the Passion of the Christ movie, my scripture memory is becoming so much more interesting. i'm in the process of memorizing Hebrews chapter 12, and verse 4 is today's verse.

i don't know if the write of Hebrews had Jesus praying on the Mount Olives in mind when he wrote this verse, but putting the two of them together is pretty incredible. just think of a human praying so earnestly that their sweat becomes blood is amazing. Jesus was fighting temptation thru prayer. i was going to write "on His knees" instead of thru prayer, but how do i know if He was kneeling or standing or pacing?

so here are my questions:
am i so against sin that my heart is filled with anguish?
do i even know what temptations is seeking to devour me?
do i cry out of God's power in other's lives?
am i willing to truly surrender my 'cup' for His?
do i have any clue about this battle that is raging around me?
am i equipped with weapons which will protect me from the flaming arrows of satan?
when is the last time i truly "fought" temptation for myself of others?
why am i so weak?

Jesus,
You endured so much. Your sweat became blood for me, in more ways than one. You knew temptation and how to fight it. Jesus, i admit that often i'm oblivious to the temptations which surround me. i confess that i don't fight thru prayer. Jesus of nazereth, please help me. i want to be strong in You. i need You to teach me to pray. i need You to teach me how to use these weapons. i trust You, my Teacher. lead me to the Truth. i love You. thanks for enduring the cross. in You i place my hope.
in Jesus Name ~ Amen!


*Summer *Oliver *Chuck

0 comments: