Monday, February 02, 2004

Generosity to Poor


If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs. Be careful not to harbor this wicked thought: "The seventh year, the year for canceling debts, is near," so that you do not show ill will toward your needy brother and give him nothing. He may then appeal to the LORD against you, and you will be found guilty of sin. Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.
Deut. 15:7-11

it is quite something being american. we seem to have the most wealth, and yet often we are the most stingy. we ponder having enough in our retirement fund, when others in the Body of Christ are starving to death. we harbor wicked thoughts like, "they are poor because they choose to be. they can get a job it they tried." how incredibly selfish is that? are we so shallow to think that God won't supply for our needs when we get older? are we trying to create our own security?
ok, so i guess i stepped up upon my soapbox. in the community i live there are many homeless people. i don't know exactly where they live, but i know that i gave a wondering soul a ride one time and dropped him off near a grove of trees. he said, 'my place is just on the other side of these trees.' my heart broke, knowing that i have so much and he has so little. i'm a sucker for stopping when someone's car is broke down near the side of the road, or giving ride to hitchhikers. just ask Denise. call me stupid, but i don't want to be judged at the pearly gates for not helping those in need.

Good Lord,
Father, i don't know where so many people are homeless, but i know that Your example for me is to clothes the naked, care for widows and children, feed the hungry, etc. You always seem to have exactly what the needy, even when they were coming to You for earthyly wealth and food. You offered them the food of heaven, the gift of salvation. Jesus, i know that You've moved in my heart to be compassionate toward others. i pray for opportunity to share this compassion with someone. i don't want to be hard-hearted or tight-fisted. let the gifts You've given me be used for the growth of others. don't let me rely on my self-security, because i know that is worthless. i am bankrupt without You. may You open my eyes and heart to help those who need help. let my hands be used for Your service, my finances for You use. open my eyes to see the need, and equip my heart to do the work; don't let me coward. all i have is Yours anyway, so what right do i have to withhold it from You? i've had this thought lately, "if i own anything i am not willing to give up, than i am not worthy of having it in the first place." let that be my heart's call. i want to give all for Your sake.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen!


*Shannon *Brandon *Allison

0 comments: