Friday, January 09, 2004

Confrontations and Backbones


You shouldn't act as if everything is just fine when one of your Christian companions is promiscuous or crooked, is flip with God or rude to friends, gets drunk or becomes greedy and predatory. You can't just go along with this, treating it as acceptable behavior. I'm not responsible for what the outsiders do, but don't we have some responsibility for those within our community of believers? God decides on the outsiders, but we need to decide when our brothers and sisters are out of line and, if necessary, clean house.
1 Cor. 5:11-13

i read these verses and cringe, because i know too often i run from confrontation. i'm a passifist, peace-maker, pansy. these verses clearly point out that we are be bold about standing up for the truth. and when our close 'church' friends are out of line, we need to tactfully reprimand them in love.

and the other side to this is the one being reprimanded. it is a humbling experience to be 'chewed out', 'yelled at', etc. we tend to make every confrontation out to be more than what it was. i'm very guilty of this. i don't do well when others come to me and tell me i've done something wrong. respectfully accepting advice is one way to practice humility...which seems to be an area which Christ is working in my life. ironic that the last words in these verses are 'clean house'.

Christ, i admit i've not confronted others in a way which would please You. i've tucked my tail between my legs and run home too many times. please forgive me for this. i pray for You to equip me with more strength to lovingly reprimand those who are out of bounds. let my words be filled with grace and mercy. and i also admit that i've defended my cause far too many times, instead of humbly accepting the advice. Jesus, i lay this down on the cross. may You use this humble servant. i can't change without Your help. please, come and rescue me from this struggle between flesh and Spirit. i wanna run to You and jump into Your grace. i pray for opportunies to share Your ability thru me. that's a bold prayer, my Friend, but what better way to test and see that i pass the test. i want to achive the goal You have set for me. me others know that I am Your servant and that i chose to follow Your example.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen!
*Ann *Eddy *Zach

0 comments: