Thursday, January 08, 2004

Confessions


If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
Prov. 28:13

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 5:16

"When your people Israel have been defeated by an enemy because they have sinned against you, and when they turn back to you and confess your name, praying and making supplication to you in this temple, then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your people Israel and bring them back to the land you gave to their fathers."
1 Kings 8:33-34
confessions. all kinds of thoughts come to mind when that word is spoken. first i think of a priest in a wooden closet listening to a sinner. then i think of Christ as my Priest listening to me as i confess my sins before Him. what an incredibly humbling experience to stand before His throne and speak aloud the sins of my life.

but where in my list of confessions do i think of confessing my sins to my companions? it doesn't rank very high. when do i confess my sins to my friends? pretty much never. am i so perfect that i never sin? of course, not. why then do i not obey this command written in the Book? lack of humility. arrogance. pride. "haven't-done-it-in-the-past,-why-start-now?" attitude. God has blessed me with some incredible friends to whom i could confess, but i choose not to open my lips. but this is gonna change. i'm beginning to pray for humility, opportunity to confession to others my sin so they can uphold me by prayer. this year has started out to be quite the soul-searching year, and we are only 8 days into it. expectant to see how it continues.

Jesus,
thanks for bringing these verses into my life so You can continue to change me from the inside-out. thanks for humbling me before Your throne. thanks for the friends whom You've blessed me with. may You have Your way with me. i confess my lack of confession to other to You. i'm on my knees praying for strength and courage to be open and honest about my struggles and sins. God, i don't want to continue to be arrogant and full of pride. i don't want to continue to give two excuses for everything. please open up a way for me to share these confessions w/ someone. prepare someone to hear my heart's confessions. let them be a godly person, someone who knows You and can pray to You. this is new to me, Jesus, and i need Your assurance that this is Your doing. i need You so i can be honest and open, because i've failed so many times before. let me fall in Your grace. i'm expecting You to use this new avenue to display Your grace and mercy. i'm falling fully on You for support, Counselor. and i pray for others who need someone to confess their sins. let us no longer live in the silence of hiding our sins, but let us bring them into Your light. let us know You forgiveness thru friends and confession, and let us be open and honest with You about who we are. may our hearts pour out sins and renounce them. let us not remain sinful.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen!
*Kyle *Aaron *Valerie

0 comments: