Monday, March 22, 2004

Verses on My Mind

"To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others: " 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge and you did not mourn.' For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."
Matt. 11:16-19

Jesus's teachings. currently in the senior high sunday school class that i lead (or try to lead), we are studying some of the tough teaching of Jesus. yesterday's lesson was on "following Jesus faithfully, no matter what." it was based on the verse if we should come after Jesus, we must deny ourselves and take up our cross daily and follow Him. (Luke 9:23) we had some great discussion about ways we must deny ourselves the pleasures of the world, etc.

so, last night as i was reading a few verses before i crashed for the evening, i came to these verses about our generation. i am at a loss as to what the meaning really is. i've thought that perhaps Jesus was trying to tell them that they have One who is offering them help, and that God the Father sent them exactly what they were seeking, but they missed Him. or that we are not content with what we have been offered. if anyone has any insight, i would love to hear it.

lately i've been thinking alot about contentment and how i am seeking something more. perhaps those people in Jesus day were in the same place i am, but i have found Jesus (or He found me). i know the Truth and i know that it has set me free. i trust that He is all i need, but often my emotions/mind feels differently. i'm still seeking satisfaction, but i know the One who makes me complete. definitely signs of my immaturity. well, i'm trying to know Christ as my sufficiency, or maybe i'm looking for Him to be the 'Perfecter of my faith'. that is my search right now. my heart is longing to know completeness in Him. (and i realize that this longing will never be complete until i meet Him, but there has to be a place of contentment, too...doesn't there?)

Jesus,
i know You as my Prince of Peace and my Creator. i want to know You as my Perfector, my Sufficiency, my Completor. i need You to be my satisfaction and my contentment. and i would like You to open my eyes to what these verses mean, too. you know the tendencies of us humans to seek the Truth and miss it, because we are seeking our own Truth. Jesus, i pray for You to lead me to You, the Truth. i want to know You more intimately. i want to behold You in the presence of my enemies. i want to stand when the world around me is crumbling. i want to know You and be known by You. i love You and my heart finds comfort in Your midst. thanks for calling me from darkness into Your glorious light. thanks for guiding me into a deeper relationship with You. thanks for my friend, ashton, who is learning to grow up in You, too. may her faith be like a tree planted by water, always yielding its fruit and doesn't worry when the heat comes. (Jer. 17:7-8) let her talents be for You a glorious sound in Your ear. thanks for drawing her close to You.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen!


*Ashton *Stacy *David

0 comments: