Thursday, March 25, 2004

Blessings Flow

Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?
1 Cor. 4:6-7

This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord.
Jer. 9:23-24

'what do i have that i have not received?' this question has resounded thru my mind all morning. i have nothing which hasn't been given me. i am here because Someone else created me. i live because Someone gives me breath, and healthy lungs to breath the air. i have because Someone has given me talents to work, to love, to play and to simply exist. i am because He gives generously.

just wondering about my sinful nature in all this? both passages listed above refer to boasting and pride. what i boast about, or what i grumble about mostly take pride in my human flesh, and not in the promises of God. my heart leans toward the flesh instead of towards the Spirit about pride. too often my thoughts puff myself up, like on a pedestal or throne. but i don't belong there. that is Christ's throne. He is the only One for which i am to boast. i have nothing besides Christ, tho i like to think i own things.

Father,
i bow humbly before Your holiness. i am prideful. my heart seeks vanity too often. Jesus, please draw me close; forgive me for my thoughts of how wonderful i am, instead of how awesome You are. guide me deep into Your humility. i want to boast of You and of Your righteousness. i want to be Your servant, not my own queen tut. close my mouth when i am about to boast of the flesh. cleanse my heart that i may be more like You, Jesus. send Your blood to cover my selfishness. take my pride and nail it to Your cross at calvary. You are worthy of my everything. it's all Yours.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen


*Joshua *Zach *Morgan

0 comments: