Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Self Destruct


Speaking to the people, he went on, "Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot." Then he told them this story: "The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: "What can I do? My barn isn't big enough for this harvest.' Then he said, "Here's what I'll do: I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll gather in all my grain and goods, and I'll say to myself, Self, you've done well! You've got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!' "Just then God showed up and said, "Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods--who gets it?' "That's what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God."
Luke 12:15-21
well, i just got back from the National Youth Workers Convention. it was incredible - everything from the speakers, the cooperate worship, the food, etc.! now my mission is to put to practice some of what i've learned.

the theme of the weekend was "renovatus" - latin for renovate us. much of the weekend was spent on admitting where i've built my "house", my ministry, my life, and what parts has God built? this leads to these verses and how they embraced what i'm learning today.

many of you know that i am a type A personality, with a rather high self-esteem. (i can only imagine how many comments i am going to get from that statement! - it's all worth it!) anyway, i often fall into relying on self, rather than humility and God's strength. i have too many agendas and few visions. i dream small (lacking faith), instead of dreaming large and expecting God of move mountains.

from here on out, i am striving to dream God's dreams, complain less, expect more, and stretching my love for others by humbling my tongue to speak less. God is good and He does speak to anyone willing to zip their lip and listen for His voice.

dear Jesus,
it was great to get away with You for the weekend, nearly it seems like an affair - getting away from my "ordinary" to enter into Your Sanctuary. thanks for drawing my heart closer to Yours through this convention. i want to listen to Your voice, Holy Spirit, and seek to know Your mission for my life and my ministry (tho the two should be the same thing.) i love You and greatly enjoyed our time together. let's not stop, ok? may You continue to open the hearts of those in st. paul, so that their hearts will overflow with praise to You. for You, sweet Jesus, are the reason to sing, dance and live.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen
*Jacqui *Joe *Ruth

0 comments: