Tuesday, October 21, 2003

The Love/Forgive Connection


Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."
Luke 7:44-47

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Matt. 6:14-15

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Eph. 4:32-5:2
i am struggling where to begin. there is so much to learn in these few verses. i'm going to start with Simon. he had a strong prejudice against this woman. in luke 7:39 he stated that she is a "sinner". but Jesus didn't seem to mind that she sinned. He just enjoyed her adoring Him. she loved Him, and Him demonstrated His love for her by forgiving her sins.

this is quite the example to live up. how many offenses of other people can i recall that have kept me from demonstrating love to them? far too many. i am like simon. i let my prejudice shine, instead of being an imitator of Christ. my negative thoughts of people hinder my love for them. i am human, tho i long to be like Christ. i do what i don't like to do, but strive to do the things which i know glorify Christ. i fall toward the cross of Christ and cry for forgiveness, and for the ability to love the way He loved - unashamed and unreserved.

Jesus,
Your life on earth had to have been difficult. You can relate to what i am going through. i praise You for standing strong to the end, even death on a roman cross by the hands of the people whom You created. when i was dead in my transgressions, You cared enough to save me by grace. and for this grace i can live as You live, love the way You love, and rejoice in the trials that come my way. show me areas in my heart where i am prejudice. enable me to live the way You lived.
In Jesus' Name ~ Amen
*Ashton *Joe *Holly

0 comments: