Thursday, October 16, 2003

Lord of the Sabbath


If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.
Matt. 12:7-8

Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

i am discovering that Christians who are passionate about life are passionate about knowing Jesus. nomally when i read my Bible i read from the old testament, so i am turning over a new leaf. i am on a quest to know Jesus. so this morning i began reading from the gospels. and already i'm feeling conviction of sin in my life.

this Matthew passage written above comes just after Jesus demonstrates why it is ok to do good on the Sabbath, even when it may not follow the customs or laws of the time. the statement, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' comes from Hosea 6:6. in yesterday's entry, i commented about attending 7:22. Louie Giglio is the main speaker, and his message was about the prodigal son, but it was given from the view point of the jealous brother. the message really hit home with me, because i grew up in a situation where my older brother was (and still is in some ways) the prodigal son. i was the one to stay home, do the best that i could, and watch my parents accept Derrick back into the family time and time again.

louie began the whole talk by mentioning that during Jesus's life, all the sinners and "untouchables" wanted to spend time with Him. and that too often when we approach someone with the Gospel, they brush us off and try to hide from us. then Louie commented that perhaps we are too much like the older brother, eager to point out everyone's sin and condemn them. we should be more eager to give mercy than to point the finger. perhaps we have the "older brother syndrome". i am convicted... what basis do i have to stand which assumes my innocence? all i have is Jesus' blood. so why i am such a hypocrite?

so anyway, the message by Louie was good from me to hear. now i am going back to Jesus to see how He lived in such a way that sinners and the lowliest people desired to hear what He had to say. this is why He lived: to draw the lost back Home.

anyway, i know my title doesn't really match up with the content of this entry, but i have a question: what does this mean, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." i've been pondering this all morning. if anyone has any insight, please comment. i would greatly appreciate it.

Lord of the Sabbath,
it is for Your glory that i come to You. i delight in Your Presence. thanks for giving me an outstanding example on how You lived, and continue to live through Your people. Jesus, i want to be like You. i want to give mercy. hear my call to You, Jesus, for i am guilty of being too much like the older, jealous brother. i want to give the way You gave. You promise me in Luke 6:38 that when i give, it will be given to me. let me offer myself as an offering to You; this is all i have. i am nothing without You, and my innocence is in You. You are the reason for my life. may You use this servant to draw people Home.
Through Jesus' Name ~ Amen~
*Crissy *Charli, Robyn, Scott *Ann

0 comments: