Monday, November 03, 2003

Unworthy Servants


"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'"
Luke 17:7-10

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but man is tested by the praise he receives.
Prov. 27:21
Lately i've been hooked on this song by Matt Redman, called, "You must increase". it's based on John 3:30, "He must become greater; I must become less." the statement comes for John the Baptist speaking of Jesus. i thought about the lyrics, "i lift You high, and i bow down low. how high can You be? how low can i go? He must increase, i must decrease. Lord, i'll bow down and You will be adored. Jesus, You will be adored." and i really am only beginning to get it. i've heard the song nearly a thousand times now, and i am only beginning to understand what John was speaking about - to be a servant, one must receive an order with joy, and carry it out with diligence, possess a heart which is grateful for the ability to carry out the order, while all the time remaining humble

let me tell you, i don't meet these requirements. i fall terribly somewhere before receiving the order with joy. when someone tells me to do something, i too many times try to get out of doing the duty, complain while on mission, and accept all the praise of accomplishing the task. it's pretty pathetic when i think of my attitude and the way i try to lead others into servant leadership. but i rejoice the Jesus continues to offer me orders, and He willingly offers the strength to carry out the task. He amazes me with His friendship along the journey, and His joyfulness to commune with me. there is something about being in the company of the greatest man who ever lived. if only i can pay more attention to His stories and His wisdom...

Dearest Jesus,
i praise You for continually being with me. Holy Spirit, You amaze me with Your mercies which are new every day. You patiently prod me along life's mission. be praise for starting a work in me which You persist on continuing. it is a great joy to know You. i love You. Father, please forgive me for falling short of Your glory. please forgive me for my rebellion, my grumblings, my hard-heartedness, my lack of ambition, and my stubborness. i surrender these to You, and lay them down on your altar. may Your sanctifying blood flow over them, cleansing them from their vileness. let them be transformed into gratitude, willingness, eagerness, zeal and joy. Your power is great and You are faithful.
through Jesus' Name ~ Amen!
*Phillip *Shannon *Denise

0 comments: