Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Spiritual Work


So, what does the Holy Spirit do? This has been my question all morning. I keep thinking about what I've experienced of the Holy Spirit and what the Bible says about Him. So far these scriptures have jumped out at me.
  • "But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you." {John 14:17}

  • It's interesting to me that Jesus told the disciples that the Holy Spirit was with them, and that they would be filled with Him. Probably they didn't realize the significance of this statement at the time it was spoken. And now we know about Penecost and the wonder of what took place when the Holy Spirit descended upon them.
  • "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."{John 14:26}
    The very next verse say, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." After hearing Jesus tell the disciples that he would not be with them much longer, he preceded to let them know that the Holy Spirit would come in His place. He also tried to reassure them to not be afriad, but instead have peace. There's a challenge and a half! Their leader was predicting his death which meant these guys would need to step up and fill His shoes. How could they not be afraid? Because Jesus wasn't leaving them alone; He was giving them the Holy Spirit.
  • "When He comes, He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment." {John 16:8}
    Conviction: "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." {2 Cor. 7:10}
  • "But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on His own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to Me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you." John 16:13-14}
  • "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." {Acts 1:8}

0 comments: