Monday, May 19, 2003

Solitude


If i could write a poem, today it would be about "Christian solitude". Really there's no such thing since we Christians claim, "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." {Deut. 31:8} I know this claim is true, because i have experienced it every day of my life.

But there are times when i need a break from people, things, places, etc. Sometimes i wish i could have an out-of-body experience, just so that i wouldn't have to deal with my reality. That sounds pretty severe, but my heart cries out for escape some times.

Isn't it wonderful how God truly looks out for us and fulfills our every longing? At those moments when i want to run and hide, He provides me with the words and wisdoms i need to survive with joy. As i flipped open my Bible this morning, a prompting came over me to read Psalm 42. The first 2 verses caught me like a trap. "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" All these feelings which i've had about "escaping" come to rest in the reality that i'm missing my God. Things in life seem hectic, dull and useless because my source of Living Water has been cut off. Once I regain my focus, and exchange my physical hunger for my spiritual hunger. At that moment all my fears come to rest in the "shadow of the Almighty".

0 comments: