Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Complaining to God


Jeremiah 20 is a complaint from Jeremiah. He feels that God has deceived Him by not carrying out the destruction which Jeremiah so boldy has been proclaiming. Jeremiah had been doing exactly what God intented him to do, and yet Jeremiah didn't feel he was being rewarded according to his conduct. He was expecting something different from God, and now he was frustrated.

I love this prayer of Jeremiah. Often i feel that I've been doing God's will, and yet my life seems to be a wreck. Jeremiah was getting insulted because what he was preaching was NOT coming to pass. So, Jeremiah decided to not speak the word of God to these people. In verse 9 we see the consequence. "His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, i cannot." When Jeremiah decided to hide his faith under a bushel, God had a different plan. He got a severe case of "heartburn". He needed to do what God had instructed him, or he too would come to ruin, just like the people to whom he was preaching.

"O Lord Almighty, you who examine the righteous and probe the heart and mind, let me see your vengeance upon them, for to you I have committed my cause." {Jer. 20:12} Jeremiah is crying out to see some results. Have I cried out lately for God to move so that i can see the results? YES, I HAVE! I seem to pray diligently for St. Paul to have a renewed affection for the Holy Spirit. To walk in step with Him. For their eyes to be opened to their hard-heartedness. For people to turn from their pride, and be sensitive to the feelings of others. For passion of the Holy Spirit to descend upon this church, which is to be called a house of God. It's pretty sad when we can only gather 5 people to pray on Sunday mornings for the faith of our church. Those are my prayers, my pleas, my requests for God to move in miraculous ways. I, too, want to see the Lord move. Just like Jeremiah with his terrible case of heartburn, so i refuse to be silent, but i refuse to open my mouth to complain to others.
  • But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be giiven to you as well. {Matt. 6:33}
  • Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. {Prov. 16:3}
  • Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. {Ps. 37:5-6}

    I desire to see Him restore me and St. Paul back to Himself.

  • 0 comments: