Thursday, September 18, 2003

Lend Without Return Policy


"Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
Luke 6:30, 31, 34-36

just reading these verses makes me realize how selfish i am. "Give to everyone who asks you, and don't expect to be paid back!" but what about all my stuff? what about a theif in the night, and an insurance claim? what about my well-being? what....? and Jesus replies, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power if made perfect in weakness." {2 Cor. 12:9}

in today's society we are taught about justice. we still desire to live by the old rule, "an eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth." we desire to see punishment for a crime, death for the convicted criminal, and for the government to uphold our rights. i find that Scripture often does not defend our rights, but requests us to surrender our rights to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. He desires to be evident in our lives, even when our pride is hurt. sometimes he wants us hurt, so that we realize where our significance lies: in Him. just read the Beattitudes and you'll soon discover that our joy and blessings come through weakness, and our hope is only in Jesus Himself.

Lord Jesus,
deep within, i desires to be more like You. Holy Spirit, come to me and conform me to Your thinking, away from the world. again You've shown me how selfish and hypocritical i am. let my pride and arrogance be torn asunder, so that Your grace can be my sufficiency. i need You. i can't change on my own. help me to rely on You for meekness, lowliness, weepiness, poorness, hunger, etc. let Your sermon on the mount ring in my ears all thru this day.
Under Jesus' Lordship, Amen!


0 comments: