Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Loving God


*Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. {John 14:21}

*This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome. {1 John 5:3}

*But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to obey his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul. {Joshua 22:5}

*If you love me, you will obey what I command. {John 14:15}

for those of you who know me quite well know that i'm a morning person. when i wake up, my mind is automatically in high gear and is moving a mile a second. i awoke with the song, "I love You, Lord." many of you may know how the rest of it goes. but my thoughts didn't stop there. they moved onto the Scripture verses which speak of truly loving God. these verses don't speak directly anything about lifting our voices or worship Him through attending services. they speak of obeying His commands. then i began to wonder how well i knew His commands. do i know what He wants me to do?

Micah 6:8 says "To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Jesus says, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." {Matt. 22:37-40} and in Deutoronomy 10:12-13, we can see what God asks of us, "to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD's commands and decrees."

bottom line: i am to obey with all my heart. how? the Holy Spirit's invasion: when i am weak He makes me strong, when i get down He lifts me up, when i tremble He gives peace.

Generous Father,
May You be praise for drawing my heart near Yours. Thanks for giving me Your Holy Spirit, so that i can be strong in You. May You continue to pour Your Spirit upon me and fill my heart so that i may willingly serve You with my whole heart.

Through Jesus's Name ~ Amen.

0 comments: