Monday, July 07, 2003

Immaturity


"You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?"
1 Cor. 3:3

"Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."
1 Pet. 2:1-3

"In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!"
Heb. 5:11-12

"The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."
James 3:6

"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!"
1 Cor. 10:12

ever have one of those days when the words of your mouth get you into a heap of trouble? lately that seems like the story of my life. every time i open my mouth an endless supply of rubble seems to spill forth. i hate it! my tongue is a world of evil...

during the message at the saturday night worship service, God got to me. He confronted me with some of the childish ways which rule in my life. then all day sunday it was a downhill slide which eventually fell into my own grave. so today, as i attempt to dig my way back to the surface, i'm discovering how weak i am. my heart often tells me that i'm strong, that nothing can move me...then reality sets in. if it weren't for the grace of Jesus Christ, i deserve death. my life is nothing without Him. my plans are worthless, void, pointless, but His are grand, magnificent, worthwhile, meaningful.

and tho my mouth and heart get in the way, and my emotions beat me up like a bandit in the night, Christ makes me whole. and what a glorious assurance this is, b/c right now i'm not feeling very wholesome or complete.

Hey Dad, i pretty much am messed up in the head. my mouth tends to open when it should remain closed and my thoughts flow from a heart which contains much evil. Jesus, i need to You to cleanse me again. let my heart be a branch from Your vine. Holy Spirit, please guide me to listen more often and zip my lip when it feels like speaking harsh words. forgive me for i have sinned, for it is against You. let my heart be steadfast on a pursuit of You. thanks for giving me grace to survive, and the strength to continue the climb.
in Jesus' powerful Name, Amen

0 comments: