Saturday, July 15, 2006

Letter to Tim

I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.
1 tim. 5:21

The sins of some men are obvious, reaching the place of judgment ahead of them; the sins of others trail behind them. In the same way, good deeds are obvious, and even those that are not cannot be hidden.
1 tim. 5:24-25

i wonder what type of person timothy was. when paul wrote him this letter, he must have been under some pretty stong pressure to change the ways of those around him. these commands from paul drive a nail directly into the heart.

if someone were to say, 'i charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism,' i think i may feel pretty intimidated. that type of confrontation normally doesn't sit well with me. there's just something about someone commanding me to do something. i'm ok when asked to do something, but when someone commands me to do something - normally my defenses go up and i'm up for a fight. i suppose that's a confession about failing to be submissive and to keep quiet (as also commanded in the book of first timothy.)

to do nothing out of favoritism... what does that mean? we all have favorite friends and we treat them differently than we do strangers. before this passage paul was referring to young widows who should be encouraged to marry should they feel the impulse. after this the passage speaks about drinking wine, instead of plain water. so this verse about partiality and favoritism sort of seems out of place. but it is out of place enough that it caught my attention. and made me think about how i treat certain people, and how i don't treat certain people whom i don't know as well. 'be fair' may be a way a saying what paul is trying to relay.

then comes this verse about sins and good and bad deeds. when i see this verse played out in my minds eye, i envision people either pushing or pulling a large, black box. their sins are either in front of them or behind them. either way, every person has sin - not one person is without his or her box.

denise and i had the priviledge of moving some furniture this morning. sometimes i was leading backwards, sometimes i was on the backside. one particular upright closet was difficult to move because of the height. so as we moved this large closet, we would only go as far as my legs could extent. without me pushing, denise couldn't pull it. also, without her pulling it, i could barely move it an inch. together we could move the closet, but apart we couldn't succeed. sometimes we push; sometimes we pull.

so which way do you see yourself right now? the one who has their sin ahead of them, or the type who carry their sin behind? and what can we do for others to help them to move their sin? perhaps that could be a good question to ask someone who desires to mentor someone. it's not just a matter of bringing to light the sin, it's a matter of guiding that person along the journey, away from the sin. and how many of us are willing to take the time to do that?

Jesus,
this post went in a completely different direction than i first intended. guess You had a different plan for me. so as i think about the illustration of pushing or pulling my sin, which way do i come across to others? do i have a good front, but the darkness eventually shows it's ugly face? Your word says that we should confess our sin to one another and pray together. that's the kicker. finding that someone willing to guide us away from the sin which entangles our souls. may You help me to be trusting of the friends You've given me - those who would be willing to guide me and stand by my side thru good, the bad, and the ugly of life. may You receive the praise for the friends whom You've blessed upon me. may Your truth expel the darkness, my black box. help me to be open with You about what's going on within me. forgive me for having a quick tongue and an anal retentive, critical spirit at times. may You open my eyes to see when this sin is shining thru so we can deal with it. with Your help, i know the box will move.
in Jesus Name ~ amen.
*mom *kimberly *robin

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i had troubles following this post.