Wednesday, July 05, 2006

God, Our Sanctuary

Therefore say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Although I sent them far away among the nations and scattered them among the countries, yet for a little while I have been a sanctuary for them in the countries where they have gone.'
ezek. 11.16

This is what the Sovereign Lord says: No foreigner uncircumcised in heart and flesh is to enter my sanctuary, not even the foreigners who live among the Israelites.
ezek. 44.9

Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts.
1 cor. 7.19

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

gal 5.6

sometimes the Bible confuses me. more specifically, Jesus confuses me. He changed things up, but did not do away with the old. He fulfilled the Law, but did not abolish it. (matt. 5.17) so that means the old law is still in effect, along with the new transformation thru the Spirit. sometimes that feels like a war in my soul.

i love reading and studying the bible. it amazes me how Jesus came to rescue us from the rule of satan. and Jesus's life is proof of God's immense love for us. and i believe that Jesus was all God and all man. and He changed up the thinking of the disciples and some of the rulers of the temple and government. and He still changes the thinking of those who seek Him.

the mental picture of God being our sanctuary comforts me. but my definition of sanctuary is probably different than the israelites definition. so these foreigners who were living within the community of the chosen people could not enter into the sacred temple. but then Jesus comes - and states the He is the new high priest. so does that eliminate the heirachy of the church. over and over we read about the different members having equally important positions. and several times in the new testament, we can find verses referring to circumcision having no meaning, except for circumcision of heart. and even in the old testament, some verses comment about that. again, it's coming back to the condition of our hearts.

i've been calling myself a Christian for 18 years. some of those early years tested my faith in pretty strong ways. along the journey, i've fallen into some pretty serious sin. and today i still deal with those actions. my mind often refers back to that life. and growing up in the household which i grew up wasn't always the easiest life. perhaps from an outside view it looked like the good life, but within the walls our our house was some tremendous dissension. through all those struggles, God had a way of offering His hand of grace. i've learned first hand that His grace is sufficient for all sin: past, present and future.

Amazing God,
tho my understanding is limited, i know You are great. i'm not sure if you are changing, but i do know that You have been the same yesterday, today and forever. and tho i don't understand the culture of the israelites and their understanding of 'sanctuary', i grasp the concept of You being my sanctuary. and i understand why it matters most to express ourselves by loving You and others. help me to love the way You love - and to be rid of this critical spirit. help me to pray for those who are different than me. give me a heart of compassion to see past their petty facade, and see their hearts. may You, Holy Spirit, open a way for me to speak Your love at my workplace.
in Jesus' Holy Name ~ Amen
*mom + dad *sam *emma

0 comments: