Thursday, December 04, 2003

Friends


Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
ecc. 4:9-12
And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
1 sam. 18:3-4
friendships. how many close friends do i have? well, i have many friends who know a great deal about me, but whom i won't share all my thoughts with. i have many 1 or 2 friends who will care about me, no matter what i do. but even those friends i don't share all my thoughts with. why is that?

i want to say 'i don't know', but i know that is a lie. it's because i don't trust them, and i don't want them to know the real me. i put on some legalistic, better-than-you-are attitude. i'm a sinner, saved by grace - that's all. i am nothing without Christ. my identity is in Him. without Him, i am only learning that i am nothing - i'm a miserable heap of ruin. i don't need to try to be someone different with Christ, b/c He is ultimately the One who created me, with all my flaws, and He chooses to love me. that's what a real friend does.

when i fall down, do i trust someone enough to allow them to help me up? do i allows others to offer their help when i fall down? do i take the robe my friends are offering me? or do i say, 'no, thanks. i'm alright without your help'? too many times i choose the latter answer. i am miss independant - if i can't accomplish the task, then the task just can't be completed. that's is so arrogant for me to think that way. that is yet another confession.

Amazing Father,
You are my God. i am nothing without You. and yet, when You equip Your children to offer me help, i too often turn down their help. Father, please humble me in order to receive grace from those around me. Father, i don't want to be arrogant, thinking that my way is better than others. please, come into my life and transform my heart. i give myself wholly to You. take this servant and use her talents for Your glory.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen!
*Chuck *Steven *Denise *Barbara

0 comments: