Saturday, August 02, 2003

Satan's Sifting


"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." But he replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me."
Luke 22:31-34

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. "
James 5:16

i can only begin to imagine what thoughts Peter was pondering when the Lord had told him that satan wanted his life. and then his thoughts had to have quickly moved onto Jesus words, "but I have prayed for you, Simon." Jesus bridged, knelt actually, in the gap, between what satan desired and what God wanted. and i wonder what words Jesus used to intercede for Peter's life. that's the type of praying i want to learn, to be involved in. i want to pray effective prayers which save lives.

"Lord, teach me to pray." {Luke 11:1} Spirit, please intercede for me when i don't know what to say. {rom. 8:26} Jesus, while You were on earth You offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the One who could save You from death, and You were heard because of Your reverent submission. {heb. 5:7} let my prayer not be silent, but to be heard. let my heart overflow to You with cries and tears for the lives of others. move me to love others the way you loved them, so that their interests are important to me.
In Jesus' Name ~ Amen



0 comments: