Monday, August 11, 2003

Receiving the Goal of Faith


"Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."
{1 Pet. 1:8-9}

"inexpressible and glorious joy"? really? i know that joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, and that when we believe in Him, we are filled with the Holy Spirit which guarantees our salvation. but the two adjectives used by Peter to describe joy are thought provoking. when is the last time i thought to myself, "man, i am so filled with glorious joy"? too long ago. the temptor has deceived me, and i've missed the joy of knowing Jesus rescued me from the pits of hell. i've forget that i am not my own, but i belong to Christ who lives in me, who has already defeated satan, which means He ultimately overcame the world.

i know that my soul moves when lives are changed by the grace of Jesus Christ. my joy arises when i see a loving mother dropping her kid off at school for the first day of kindergarten. (today is the first day of school for most students in GA.) when grudges are dropped. when men and women are set free from strongholds. when a youth speaks to me about how to share their faith with others. when a 90 year woman begins to weep as we sing "Amazing Grace".

but what about my daily walk with Jesus? when does my joy overflow and i am overcome with the Spirit? this is why Christ has brought this Scripture to my understanding. the joy of knowing Christ Jesus is the goal of my salvation. He is my salvation, for crying out loud. i am convincing that i am living my eternal life. "Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent." {John 17:3}

Holy Father,
i need more of You. fill my heart with Your joy and love for others. ultimately i desire more of You to be manifested in my heart. i crave You. only You can satisfy me. let me see You through the little things, Jesus. let my heart be moved by joy to go further, to do more, to reach higher for You. let me never forget that knowing You is eternal life, which is the goal of my salvation. one of my favorite promises which You've given me is this, "the Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace." {Ps. 29:11} let my soul rest in You, but when the time comes, please know that i want to go with You by my side.
Through Jesus, i pray ~ Amen

0 comments: