Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
isaiah 50:4

Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
psalm 119:34

this verse in isaiah beholds much wisdom. first it speaks of God giving me an 'instructed tongue' - a tongue that knows the words which sustain the weary. that's a big responsibility - speak to the weary and give them words which will encourage them and lead them to satisfaction. we've all been there before: when we know one of our friends is down, and we feel it's our responsibility to cheer them up. and we try to give them a shoulder to cry upon or a listening ear so they can get rid of whatever is weighing them down. but sometimes we are expected to tell them of the love which Christ has for them - and that is the word which will sustain them.

secondly, this verse speaks of God wakening us on a daily basis with ears that listen for His voice. seems to me this part of the verse should have preceded the other part of the verse. first we need to listen for God's voice - teaching us how to give the words which sustain the weary. without His word of instruction, His promptings, His leading, His guidance . . . we are lost and purposeless.

i have many friends right now who are going thru hard times. i'm not going to name them, but i can sense them becoming weary. their faith once blazed the way - taking on challenges much larger than they could conquer, but they faithfully went thru the unknown with help of the Known. now the One whom they knew so well in the past, has become commonplace. . . and this saddens me. one of my friends who is struggling with temptation said, 'it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission'. it breaks my heart that we've cheapened grace. oh the wise words of bonhoeffer. so i ask myself, in what ways am i cheapening grace? where in my life have i given into temptations - or where have i been numb to the Spirit's leading? what in my life is unholy? what white lies have my lips spoken - what exaggerations have i said? where have i been a hypocrit? is there someone whom i should ask for forgiveness? what in my past is causing fear or discouragement? where have i withheld my love for Jesus or others? when have i shown a 'don't care attitude'? have i said i'll do something and didn't do it? how's my daily pursuit of Jesus - am i digging into His word and truly listening for His voice? do i hear Him speak and forget? am i who i think i am? what things in my life cause dissatisfaction and what am i doing about them? am i pursuing righteousness? is my money being spent on things which will have a lasting effect on others - or am i being selfish in my spending?

dearest Friend
i ask these questions in Your presence. help me to find the true answers. give me understanding and i will keep Your law and obey with my whole heart. Jesus, forgive me for not being real with You. too often i try to cover my struggles from You - help me to get them out in the open so that You can cleanse me for falling into sin. use Your hyssop to cleanse - wash me, then i'll be whiter than snow. when i wake in the morning, let my first thoughts be of You - speak to servant for she is listening. may i be silent long enough to hear the words which satisfy and give rest to the weary. i'm not an island.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen
*Kimberly *Maverick *Lexi

0 comments: