Monday, June 05, 2006

Become a slave

You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
Romans 6.18

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high.
Lev. 26.13

Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Romans 8.17

yesterday in sunday school our class went thru Romans 5. romans just gets me right there! tho i may have a shallow understanding of the book because of this culture and current traditions, it still remains relevant. if i could choose one main theme which draws me to Christianity, it would be the theme of having to become a slave. slaves don't have rights - or a vote - or say-so in any matters. they are expected to do what they are commanded without pay. they can be abused or honored, depending on their master. they are to be obedient and submissive.

ephesians 6.6, speaking to slaves about their masters, goes on to say, 'Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.' so being a slave of Christ is to draw new joy and strength from the depths of their hearts.... and our hearts, too. we are not excluded from being slaves to Christ. too often serving and submitting does not draw joy and strength from my heart... usually it tends to draw out the heathen in me.

o merciful master,
you've ask of me to give everything i have ever possessed, including my very soul. when my focus is so shallow - when my eyes fall upon how hard i have it, show me that You've already called me into priesthood. tho You've given me the status of kingship, help to remember that You've equipped me to perform the duties of a slave. i want to be obedient to You. i want to submit with a grateful heart. break me when my ego arises. o Lord, it's hard to be humble... in You i am made whole. as i abide in You, i see how surrendering to Your commands is not a burden, but a joy. my heart rejoices that i can abide in You, even when i fall hard.
in Jesus Name ~ Amen

*lexi *juanita *cynthia

1 comments:

Kevin Gantz said...

it's that "child of God" and "dust and ashes" thing that keeps me wondering. some days I am the son, some days I feel like I have filled my belly with corn husks. thanks for the thoughts today. thanks for the prayers for cynthia.

kevin