Sunday, March 26, 2006

Quiet Eye

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
psalm 46:10
so i'm reading this book, The Secret of Victorious Living by Harry Emerson Fosdick. it was copyrighted in 1934, and is a collection of sermons from Harry. so one would think that sermons from nearly 75 years ago would not be relevant, but let me tell you, that could not be farther from the truth. i highly recommend picking up a copy for yourself.

so to continue with this post, and to complete my shoutout to mr. fosdick, here are two quotes.
"We certainly must know people-and it would be strange if they were not often ourselves-whose religion is shallow and cheap, superficial, ineffective, no staying power in it, no depth to it, because the life knows no quietness. It is commonly said that the trouble with such people is that they lack faith, that they do not believe enough, but the chances are all in favor of another diagnosis. There is no great spiritual life without a quiet eye."

"You see, it is true-our lives are like brooks. When they babble they are shallow. When they are deep they are still. That is prayer-to run deep and still."

and so i fall with my knees to the earth and my hands lifted high with my head bowed low... and wait for that still, small voice to be heard in me. and this is what i hear, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27)

"Speak, for your servant is listening."
*Denise *Shottie *Brandon *Chad

1 comments:

Kevin Gantz said...

Back around Christmas, I was looking for a word from God. I prayed for several weeks, waiting to hear something of instruction or direction. All I got (and all I ultimately needed) were the words "Be Still" Its pretty cool when you know that (somehow - without explanation) He still speaks to us. You just have to wait very quietly to hear His voice.