Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wisdom in 'Zip Your Lip'

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.
Proverbs 17:28

He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
Isa. 53:7

on my drive home from work today i was thinking about the fool who comes across as wise if he holds his tongue. and then i was thinking of times when i've held my tongue... and times when i should've held my tongue. funny how our minds remember the bad times, and forget the good ones. i could list several times when i should've zipped my lips, and only a few when i remained quiet. there are certainly times to keep silent, to not put up a defensive argument. (too often i fail at this.) and there are times to open our traps and let the words of Christ speak.

there's a verse in 1 peter, 4.11 i think. [If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.] and sometimes the words of God slice to the heart. even Jesus and his parables brought division. but then there are times when his words fall like a gentle rain, healing our deepest pain and hatred. there is a grace that runs deep in Christ, even when he chooses to remain silent. perhaps i could learn a lesson in discernment about shutting up.

hey Jesus
loving a person ain't not small thing... and you constantly flood my life with Your love. thanks for speaking the truth to my heart. may You teach me discernment, to know when to speak and when to remain silent. it had to be so difficult to go before the judge and not defend Your noble cause. but now, i want to say thanks, for going down that path, so i may enjoy Your presence and know You in a personal way. You've graced me in a deep way. You've given me wisdom to seek You and trust that will help me to know You. Thanks for giving to me. You are the bread of my life.
in Your holy Name, Jesus ~ Amen
*Kim *Courtney *Tricia

0 comments: