Sunday, January 29, 2006

To What Have I Died?

So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.
Rom. 7:4

He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:2, 5, 8

oh, the good book of Romans. again i'm reminded how complex this book can be, and yet, how simple it's truth can be discerned. all this talk about the law... learning about what reigns in my body and what shouldn't. i realize that we don't speak much about a specific law very often, but these Romans had to know the law well, in order to discern what Paul was speaking to them about.

ok, so i died to the law so that i could belong to Christ in order to bear fruit to God. but what does it mean that i died to the law? what part of me died, because somedays, those parts feel mighty alive? where in my life am i feeling God 'prune' me? what parts of the law am i still upholding, but should be 'put to death'? what fruit have i been bearing lately? do others know that i am a disciple because of my actions? what does 'fruit' look like? ...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. has my Father's glory increased lately due to my 'fruit'? does increasing my Father's glory honestly matter to me?

my Jesus,
i know that i've died to the law thru Your blood, and i'm clean, and i belong to You. i know all these things are true. but i want to open myself up to You. if there is any place within me where the law still residse, please prune it away. i desire to bear fruit for You. let me be discerning to know when to move. may You create opportunities for all the fruit within me to be evident to those around. let me know when to do good to others, to speak the Truth in love, to humble myself enough to do those deeds which others care not to do. give me a servant's heart; replace arrogance with compassion. Holy Spirit, what in me needs to die? please reveal this to me - i want to be a true disciple. refine me - melt me- mold me - burn out the impurities within that i may be made holy for Your glory. as the hymn goes:
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.

In Jesus's Holy and Precious Name ~ Amen
*Leslie *Hamilton *Linda

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to update...