Wednesday, April 07, 2004

To Know is to Obey

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.
1 John 2:3-5

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
1 John 2:15-17

these are difficult passages for me to take in. the connection between knowing (and loving) Jesus and doing what He asks is so intertwined that they should never be spoken of as being separate units. i hear so many people say that they are Christian (AKA "i believe in Jesus") and yet they don't pay any attention to His word. these verses make it so clear... there isn't any separation between being a Christian and doing what He says and living as He did. it's not an option.

so when i know what i ought to do and choose not to do it, then i am just like Peter, the Rock, lying about not knowing Him. same thing. no difference. it's all about living the Truth, no matter what the penalty is or if my reputation is going to be hurt. that is a difficult reality.

God,
please forgive me for disobeying You. Holy Spirit, You given me promptings to do good to others, and i've chosen to not obey because of selfish motives. may Your grace fill my broken cup. i need You, Jesus. i can't live like You did without Your help and continued encouragement. i know the sacrifice You've made on my behalf. never let me loose site of what You've given away in order for my life to be complete. i want to obey You and know You more and more. if i stand, let me stand on the Truth which has brought me this far....but if i fall, let me fall on the grace which first brought me to You. i am Your servant, and i pray for my heart to be a servant's heart, not the rebellious brother/son. thanks for this understanding. You are my King.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen


*David *Stacy*Tom

0 comments: