Friday, September 22, 2006

Each Day's Need

"May he turn our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways and to keep the commands, decrees and regulations he gave our fathers. And may these words of mine, which I have prayed before the LORD, be near to the LORD our God day and night, that he may uphold the cause of his servant and the cause of his people Israel according to each day's need, so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the LORD is God and that there is no other. But your hearts must be fully committed to the LORD our God, to live by his decrees and obey his commands, as at this time."
Solomon's Prayer of Dedication for the Temple [1 Kings 8.58-61]
where to begin? where to begin? solomon, king of israel who was preceded by david - the man after God's heart... he was the chosen one to build the table, a place for God's name to be revered. tho it was a building, solomon knew that God could not be contained within its walls. (The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain You. How much less this temple I have built! 1 kings 8.27) yet it was built for the people to remember how important God must be to each of them. He was to be the center of their community. He was to be the reason why people lived upright lives and brought sacrifices to this temple.

within the words of solomon's prayer, i can hear the heart of a man who knows his weaknesses. he pray again and again for the people to turn their hearts to the Lord, to be fully committed to Him, to live by His decrees and obey His commands. solomon knew the word of God; God spoke directly to him 2 times already. solomon grew up seeing his father run after God. he wasn't without an example of how to live by the commands of God.

so who has been my example? who has taught me to live by the commands of God? who currently holds me accountable to those lofty standards? where do i get my instruction or discipline? i grew up in a small church in south dakota where people learned to seek the truth thru the word. my youth leader (aka the pastor's wife) took me under her wing and mentored me. she was and remains to be a godly woman, someone i look up to and respect. she helped shape who am i and what i stand for. and my grandma tieman taught me the importance of blessing the food, interceding for the needs of others, and attending services. kimberly was and remains to be my nathan, my discipler. she has a way of knowing when i'm tempted and reprimands me for wandering from the chosen path. denise is a constant reminder that i'm beloved, chosen and worthy of the love of Christ. shottie encouranges me to dig deeper, to express my faith in words and be steadfast. juanita's gives grace and understanding. for these women, i'm eternally grateful.

gracious daddy,
thanks for the friends You've given me. i know each of these women has a vital role in Your kingdom and i'm grateful for what they've given to me. thanks for surrounding me with many people who challenge me to seek You deeper, harder, longer, wider. may You continue to turn my heart toward You. may i continue to learn how to obey your decree and commands and love Your word with all my heart.

'Lord, i am willing
-to receive what You give
-to lack what You withhold
-to reliquish what You take
-to suffer what You inflict
-to be what You require'
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen
*denise, juanita, deena, shottie, kimberly

0 comments: