Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Struggling in Prayer

Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." The man asked, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome." Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there.
Gen. 32:26-29
Jacob must have had bad blood with his brother, Esau. if you read a few verses earlier in teh chapter, Jacob was down on his knees - crying out for mercy, because he feared his brother was going to kill him and all his people. on his knees, jacob took God at his Word and stated that God had promised, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.' (gen 32:12) seems like a crisis of belief...

and then comes along the visitor of the night. Jacob and this stranger duke it out all night. finally it's daybreak, and the stranger wants to quit. (enter my questioning mind!) i wonder why ...the stranger wanted to quit when it becomes light? ...jacob was so eager to be blessed by this fighter? ...the stranger need to know jacob's name in order to change it. ...and i wonder how life would have been for a man named "struggles with God."? how would you like that name -'struggles with God'? seems a bit brash to me, but whatever, i guess.

and as it turns out - Jacob got the stranger's blessing...and an embrace by his brother. the prayer of jacob was answered in abundance.

Jesus,
i know You were the Stranger. Jacob called on Your Name and sought Your protection. and for some reason You blessed him in more ways than he could have asked for. and i know You do the same for me, and for this i'm grateful.

Your mercy is abundantly, new every day. thanks for carrying me in your hands, and for allowing me to dig deeper into our relationship. You are an amazing God, and You are trustworthy. so i place my trust in You, expecting You to supply my needs and heart's desire.

i have some friends who are struggling in relationships. may You grant them courage to speak their minds in a spirit of love and forgiveness. may You soften their hearts. please let them experience You thru their relationships with others. thanks for knowing us completely and for continuing to stretch us in different directions. life with You is not boring.
in Jesus Name ~ Amen.

*Kimberly *Denise *Jennifer

0 comments: