Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Believe This!

When the men came to Jesus, they said, "John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?' " At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me."
Luke 7:20-23

i've been thinking of these verses later, and i don't quite understand why. do you ever do that? some verses come to mind, over and over again...but for no apparent reason. so i'm blogging about them, trying to put to rest this insatiable questioning of why i have these verses pressed hard against my heart.

last night i grabbed one of my old books from college (NIV Harmony of the Gospels) and started searching for answers about this passage. mostly what i found was discussions about why John had sent the disciples. many scholars believe John thought Jesus would be glorified before his death. they insist that John was asking, "how are You going to prove to be the Messiah?" i tend to lean that way, instead of thinking that John was questioning if Jesus truly was the Messiah. none-the-less, i don't think that is the part of the story which i am to be focused on.

so far, my heart has been most contented in understanding the lesson to be, "Believe what you see! even if you don't believe all that i teach, please believe in the miracles for Your proof!" that's just my simple lesson...

Jesus,
i lay down my veiled understanding of this passage. please show me what You want me to learn. let it be clear, distinct, and comprehended. don't let me miss Your voice, please. i long to understand more about You. please continue to reveal Yourself to me. i love You. thanks for giving me an insatiable curiosity for Your Word. i need it. my trust is in You and in what You've done. You are the King of glory, the Great I AM. i worship You.
In Jesus' Name ~ Amen!


*Oliver *Eden *Colin

0 comments: