Thursday, August 24, 2006

listening

Therefore I say: Listen to me; I too will tell you what I know. I waited while you spoke, I listened to your reasoning; while you were searching for words, I gave you my full attention.
job 10-12a

'To relate effectively with a wife, a husband, children, friends, or work associates, we must learn to listen. And this requires emotional strength. Listening involves patience, openness, and the desire to understand - highly developed qualities of character. It's so much easier to operate from a low emotional level and to give high-level advice.' -Stephen Covey from 'the 7 habits of highly effective people'

sometime it seems God speaks in a whisper, sometimes He has to use force; in both instances, God speaks with purpose. this quote from stephen covey speak so loudly to me that i can't help but notice. it's nearly as tho Jesus is sitting across my desk in my folding chair, and saying that statement to me. after i read that statement, i set the book down, and continued in conversation with Jesus, since He was already speaking to me.

so what has God spoken to you lately? what have you heard Him say? have you responded to Him with patience, openness, and a desire to understand?

(and for denise, i know what you are going to say. 'nobody thinks like you, tanya. maybe the Lord Jesus Christ can figure you out.') or in the lyrics to 'you get me' by zoegirl,
No more tears,
It's a silent ride.
You've broken down all fears,
Cuz you have made an all of me.
You know me better,
Than I know myself.
The key to my security,
Cuz there is no one else,
Who gets me.

Jesus,
Your word has refreshed my soul. tho it's painful to hear the words, i know You're calling me to a deeper understanding of listening. thanks for speaking truth to me. i can't change on my own, Jesus; i need Your help. i need You to teach me how to be open, patient and have a desire to understand what's being communicated. open my heart to hear. and about this low emotional level while offering high-level advice... well, i'm so guilty of this. may Your grace cover me. teach me, Father, how to effectively communicate truth with love. only thru You...
amen
*the miller family *skylar *the buffintons *derrick

0 comments: