Monday, May 01, 2006

Distinguishing the Holy from the Common

You must distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, and you must teach the Israelites all the decrees the Lord has given them through Moses.
Lev. 10.10-11

Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.
Ezek. 22.26

in reading about the acts of the priests near the beginning of leviticus, i've been reminded of a few things:
~ the priests had a messy job
~ they knew specifically what their tasks were

about the priests having a messy job - one of their tasks was to kill the sacrificial animal and throw its blood against the altar. can you say, "slaughter house"? but thru this sacrifice, people were made right with God. and the priests knew better than anyone how this occured. it amazes me how one Sacrifice, a human being, could make restitution for all of us. Jesus, the perfect One, restored us to God so that our sacrifices are no longer needed. no wonder it was so difficult for the priests and teachers of the law to understand Jesus. He transformed the need for church.

the priests didn't wonder what they were expected to do: it was written out for them. the law taught them everything needed to perform their jobs to the fullest. they knew specifically how to sacrifice different offerings. and then comes along this verse: 'YOU must distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, and YOU must teach the Israelites all the decrees the Lord has given them through Moses.' it had to start with their hearts. they needed to know the law and teach others to obey it.

sara groves has a lyric in the song 'just showed up' that catches my attention often. this is what it says, 'I'm going to live my life inspired, look for the holy in the common place, open the windows and feel all that's honest and real until I'm truly amazed'. i wonder if this is how the priests lived their lives, or if they were de-sensitized to the holy. i wonder where in my life, i've become de-sensitized to the holy. where have i've lost my sense of wonder and inspiration?

my High Priest,
may You help me to live this life inspired. help me to see the holy in the common place. sensitize me to distinguish between the holy and the common. i open the windows on my heart to feel all that's honest and real until You amaze me. show me ways that i can choose to bring the holy into the common place. may You create holy moments during my job, my resting, my playing, my praying, my times of laundry and ironing. let Your holy rain down from on high, filling my heart with wonder. please don't let me loose this sense of awe.
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen

*Lee Ann Womack *Sara Groves *Kelsey

1 comments:

Kevin Gantz said...

Reading a lot of Thomas Merton right now and he leans heavy towards finding the Holy in the ordinary tasks of our day. May you find Him this day in the common things of your life. May we all be blessed for reading and writting and listening to the hearts of our friends. Peace - K