Saturday, November 19, 2005

Love Covers Over a Multitude of Sins

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
Prov. 10:12

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.
Prov. 17:9

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 Pet. 4:8

in swahili: Zaidi ya yote, pen daneni kwa moyo wote, maana upendo hufunika dhambi nyingi sana. 1 Petro 4:8

so i bought the new sara groves cd. she's done it again. intertwined lyrics with music to make my eyes water and my heart sense the love of an amazing Father. this song, When It Was Over, gets me. not sure what it is about it, but the simplicity of the words and music enriched with forgiveness moves my heart to listen more closely to Jesus.

'How great is the love the Father has lavished on us.' (1 John 3:1) i rejoice that a love deeper than my understanding of love exists. i tend to think of love being amazing, but i add that it fails... i'm a doubter. somewhere in my past, someone who said they'd love me forever let me down. so my view on 'loving forever' is tainted. and i can't even point my finger on who this person is. guess satan stamped me with this trait from birth. but i am beginning to understand that a love deeper than anything i can perceive exists. and i'm being lavished by that love.

here's my confession, i'm so selfish that i think i am the only one who will keep my promise to love until death. again, i rejoice that a love deeper than my understanding of love exist.

somehow God put it in my heart to not hold grudges too long. i don't mean that as bragging rights, but it is true. most of the time, i forget what someone has done against me. so perhaps it's because i'm not very bright. but this 'forgetfulness' benefits me when it comes to covering over a multitude of sins with love.

i know i am the way i am today, because of the way i was raised. mostly i'm fearless - i was told that i can take on the world. i'm especially guarded - i went thru some rough childhood years of my brother being an alcoholic and drug user, and my parents giving him all their attention. i was the good kid - good at school and sports, so my parents didn't need to worry about me. my grandparents took me in and cared for me during those rough times. but thru those rough times, i never spoke of how i felt. i always hid my hurt with a smile. my friends at school had no clue as to what went on in my house, nor did my grandparents. i was the queen of hiding my feelings. i ran from the hurt and pain. and in my adult life, i still tend to lean that way.

when i was in middle school, a family took me on as their project. i don't think they intended on taking me on, but it simply happened that way. i entered their family as a babysitter and a kid from their youth group. they revealed to me that love covers over a multitude of sins. they didn't force me to talk of my family issues, but they knew about them. they loved me as i was. they invited me into their family, to share and love and trust. they taught me that to love, one needs to forgive; without forgiveness one cannot love. that was a tough lesson, because i had a great deal of hurt and pain to confess. this family, all 5 of them, taught me of Christ, humanity, and my responsibility to live what i believe. and to them i am forever grateful.

Sweet Jesus,
You've brought me out from the pit of despair. You've given me a love deeper than i can fathom. and Your grace that covers me is wider than i could ever know. i am a changed person because You first loved me. thanks for calling me to be holy, righteous, steadfast, beloved, blessed - and so many more. You've given me love to cover over all my sins - that is a multitude! and so i pray for You to use me as a vessel of this love which covers over sins. let Your forgiveness be known thru me. let me be sanctified thru You that You may be worshipped. let Your kingdom come, Father. Spirit, thanks for Your conviction which draws me to the throne of grace. You draw me close to the One whom i love. my heart rejoices that You've revealed to me this lavishing love. what made You love me when You knew what i was all about?
in Jesus' Name ~ Amen.

*Shottie *Derrick *Misty

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, tan. you really expressed feelings and emotion in this post. i'm proud of you. this is a great testimony.